Thursday, July 14, 2011

Peace Corps Anticipation

To start out, I will fill you in on the basics. I am a 22 (almost 23!) year old from North Carolina.  I graduated from Wake Forest University in 2010 with a major in political science and minors in Spanish and Latin American studies. Since graduating, I have worked as the Field Director/Co-Campaign Manager of a state House race and then with a Local Management Entity in Durham, NC.

I applied for the Peace Corps over a year ago and was nominated in June 2010 to teach English. It wasn't until January 2011 that I received any further information about my invitation and I was told I was being considered for positions in the Eastern Europe region. Although I said I'd go anywhere, I asked my placement specialist to reconsider my region because of my educational background in Spanish and Latin American studies and my experience studying abroad in Spain.

My persistent attitude was rewarded and in February, I was notified that I had been invited to serve in El Salvador! I know I will encounter some dangers while being abroad but I have heard from several friends and acquaintances who have traveled or lived there that Salvadoran people are the most kind and welcoming people they have ever met. I am eager to start my service and share two years of my life with these wonderful people while growing and learning more about myself in the process.

1 comment:

  1. I am sooo very much looking forward to your adventures. Post as often as you can. Had dinner with yer mum tonight and she is doing fine!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete